If you are looking at new homes and want to have the help of a Realtor beware ! If you contact a builder to request information be it on the phone or online they will register you as a customer. They do not disclose that they will not pay a real estate commission once they claim you as their customer. Builders do pay real estate commissions but only if the Realtor brings you into the sales office or pre registers you.
A Realtor can be a big help in buying a new home. The builders sales people are employees just like car sales people.
A Realtor can provide the following services.
- Show you resales that might exist that are only a couple of years old with upgrades beyond what you get in a new home from the builder.
- Show you sold comps to see what new and recent resales sold for.
- Realtors can help you select the best community for you. They will tell you the bad as well the good unlike getting a one sided view from the builders employees.
- Help you select a good lot. I often scratch my head and wonder why with all those lots to pick from someone bought the one they did.
- Advise on options. Some options are a must and and others are just crazy over priced.
- Help find contractors for all those things you end up doing after closing.